Channing Memorial Church
Year of Decision 2006-2007
Committee Information & Resources
Subject: Vision of Channing's Social Justice organization/operation/status: ten years ago, today and ten years into the future.
Vision of Channing's Social Justice organization/operation/status: ten years ago, today and ten years into the future - All inputs.
Ten Years Ago Scenario:
- There was no SJ committee as such
- Actions by Individuals who took it upon themselves to make a project happen
- Holdover SJ Comm. from 30 years ago
- SJ not active leader in community
- Disaster driven, e.g. 9/11 response
- Same small group or individuals on multiple committees
- RE Committee did SJ stuff
- No budget
- No social outreach in community
- Combine outreach programs programs with other churches.
Today's Social Justice Scenario:
- Lack facilities for outreach
- Lack equipment e.g. projectors and A/V stuff
- Work with other churches
- Focused effort/theme such as global warming
- No funds available
- We can do more with present resources
- We should apply for grants
- Do more diversity.
Ten Years In the Future Scenario:
- Need more resosurces in the way of space, money, staff
- SJ is involved throughout the Channing
- Hire SJ director
- Move involvement in the community and world
- SJ center of church activities
- Greater diversity members and projects
- Current facilities are too small
- Channing will be an inviting campus which in 2006 it was not.
- Sustainable facility.