Channing Memorial Church
Year of Decision 2006-2007
Committee Information & Resources
Subject: Social Justice Vision - organization/operation/status ten years ago, today and ten years into the future.
The following points summarize all inputs discussed by the Social Justice Committee on January 2, 2007:
Ten Years Ago:
- Same small group of people acting essentially on their own in response to events, e.g. 9/11, and individual interests.
- No social outreach in the community.
- Social justice activities really scattered around existing commitees.
Today's Social Justice Committee:
- While we lack a budget, facilities such as space and equipment, we are active in the community, e.g., soup kitchen, peace marches, crop walks, hot topics involving the community, etc.
- We recently became a Welcoming Congregation, but there is need for greater diversity, and we believe we can do more with what we have, even apply for grants.
Ten Years From Now:
- We see the need for more resources in the way of space, money and staff, maybe even hire a Social Justice Director.
- The Social Justice Committee will be even more involved in the church, the community and the world via a greater diversity of members and projects.